As I was outside trimming the ever-growing trumpet vine and wisteria this morning, I noticed just how quickly it had grown wild. The wisteria vine had shoots coming out from all over the place- even on the very bottom of the "trunk". This left it looking scraggly and unkempt. Not a good thing. However, I came along with my pruning sheers to cut back the "bad" vines, encouraging it to grow in the others by guiding it to the right place. This was a healthy thing to do for the plant.
This made me think of the little one I was carrying on my left hip. He has areas in his little life that need to be "trimmed back" and other areas that need to be encouraged. For example, he's got this bad habit of throwing food on the floor. As parents, we have to teach him the culturally-acceptable way of eating at the table. (It wouldn't be cute for him to throw food on the floor at age 3.) This is an area that needs to be cut out.
However, he has a great fascination with all things mechanical. The reason why I was carrying him on my hip as I was trimming the vines was because he loves the lawn mower. He wants to be right up next to it as Josh cuts the grass. (He does the same thing with the vacuum cleaner.) Obviously, it's not safe for him to be near the lawn mower. But, if we're able to find ways to engage his mind in healthy electronics now, it's better for him in the long run!
This isn't an easy job for parents. But it is one that will make a world of a difference in the long run!
Ahhhh...the ramblings and connections of a "new" mom!
Welcome to my blog! When we welcomed Elijah and then Ezra into our home, our lives changed! This blog will attempt to capture some of our most memorable moments. Have fun reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment